Notions of You(ty)

While I was in the process of splicing my advertising to create some dialogue on Notions of Beauty in Responsible Design I found myself de-constructing a lot of the language in advertising, noticing a distinct change in audience from advert to television programme.

What I found is whilst television programmes are actually bought for your enjoyment as a viewer, and they are supposedly what you have chosen that channel to watch, they aren't aimed directly at the viewer. The way we watch a lot of Television programmes is as a voyeur, watching something happen that doesn't involve us. For example when I watch the television programme Friends I am watching the lives of six New York yuppies of which my actions have no consequence. Where as when the adverts begin, the audience is directly questioned or referred to, often with assumption that the viewer agrees with or sympathises with the accusations the advert is putting forward.

So this is a thirty second video of every time 'I' was reffered to as an audience member over two advert breaks across a series of channels.

(Sorry the quality isn't great, the lighting in the room affected the exposure from the television)



No comments:

Post a Comment